Sunday, February 28, 2010

Cultural Definitions

Tampo refers to a range of Filipino cultural behavior in which one may withdraw affection or cheerfulness from a person who has hurt one's feelings, and its expression is almost entirely nonverbal.

Amuin is the basic expectation of one who engages in tampo is that the offending party will woo or cajole him or her out of the feeling of being unhappy.

Lambing is the gesture of wooing and cajoling done in a loving and tender way.

I understand that disagreements happen in relationships, especially ones that are long distance. I don't consider myself to be overly sensitive, but I'm the type of person, that if someone does hurt my feelings, it shows. I like to talk things out and address issues right away, but when I get the brush off from the other person, I have a tendency to just distance myself and retreat into the comforts of my own space, where I feel safe.

I learned a lot from what happened to me last year. Most people think that I should be traumatized and scarred by what Douchebag did, but I channeled my energy constructively, and yielded positive results.

However, I am more cautious and guarded when it comes to all my relationships, whether they are my friendships or my relationship with Paul. I am not by any means comparing my relationship with Paul to my previous relationship, because there is nothing to compare.

I am only human though, and only time will take away any feelings of uncertainty or anxiety that are remnants of what I endured with Douchebag. It's not something that I'm doing purposely or consciously, it is what it is. It was part of that karmic cleansing and learning experience I went through last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment