Paul and I took a walk around the Music Concourse near the de Young Museum and the California Academy of Sciences, with Pika on Sunday. To compliment the beautiful sunny day, the Red Umbrellas, a non-profit group consisting of independent artists were exhibiting some of their work.
I was particularly drawn to Marion Maenner's work because of her use of circular patterns and mixed media collage elements. Her art also reminds me of magical realism, perhaps because of my obsession with G.G. Marquez, one of my favorite authors. If I could afford one of Marion Maenner's pieces, I would certainly invest in one of her Divine Women, particularly The Soul within the Tree. I can identify strongly with this piece because it reminds me of the babaylan, the female shamans of pre-Hispanic Philippine society. It also reminds me of the history of strong womyn within my own family. I am fortunate to have known the matriarchs of my own family, whether it was through talk-stories or my interactions with them. I am a strong womyn because of them.
I'm also drawn to circular patterns because of their sacred significance in various indigenous cultures and rituals. It represents life and the interconnectedness of our experiences with others. It is also used for protective purposes within sacred rituals.
I'm thinking of checking out more of Maenner's work one of these weekends, perhaps when she and the other artists will be back at the Music Concourse. I will be back at the de Young soon to check out the Picasso exhibit. Maybe I can even get Paul to tap into his inner artist.
Marion Maenner had a piece entitled Perspective, and she had this quote by Alfred D. Souza to accompany it. I think it's truly befitting of everything that's happening in my life right now.
Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
For a long time it seemed to me that life was about to begin -- real life.
But there was always some obstacle in the way, something to be gotten through first,
some unfinished business, time still to be served, a debt to be paid.
At last it dawned on me that these obstacles were my life.
This perspective has helped me to see there is no way to happiness.
Happiness is the way.
So treasure every moment you have and remember that time waits for no one.
No comments:
Post a Comment