Today, I had an opportunity to watch the movie version of "Sex in the City" for what's probably the third time. For some reason, watching it THIS time around was a little different for me.
If Carrie Bradshaw had Mr. Big, then honey, I had Mr. Big Head. Haha. But, he wasn't always that way. But apparently, part of the criteria of going to medical school in L.A. means that you acquire a god-complex and a big ego. I suppose I can't generalize, but that's what happened to him.
I could really relate to what Carrie Bradshaw went through in this movie. The only difference is that I didn't go back to Mr. Big Head. I am A LOT smarter than that. I don't have Manolos just yet, but I got a good start with Jimmy Choo. I think that eventually, more of my brand names will find it's way back into my closet. Maybe after grad school. Haha. My wardrobe, is something that I am not willing to ever sacrifice again in a relationship. Haha. I'm not talking about uber expensive, like Carrie Bradshaw. I don't have that kind of money or need for that kind of a wardrobe. I'm more like a JCrew, Anthropologie, Banana Republic, Nordstroms, Diane Von Furstenburg, and occasional Gap, kind of chica.
Oddly enough, I could also relate to Miranda's character. Her movie husband, Steve, also cheated on her. The lines he gave her to justify his actions sounded so familiar:
"It only happened once."
"It didn't mean anything."
"The guilt is just killing me inside." (FYI, MR. Big Head told me that he felt SOOOO guilty after everytime he slept with Butterself. Seriously, for what, five seconds? Because you consciously cheated on me for a year and a half.)
"I don't know how I could do that to you."
"I wasn't thinking."
"I never meant to hurt you."
and my all time favorite, are you ready for this? "It just happened."
It makes me wonder. Are these tired excuses inherent in cowardly men who cheat? Is it just programmed in their DNA and comes out when they meet women who are programmed the same way? By that, what I meant to say, does the "Cheater Gene" come out, when they meet women who encourage and enable them to behave that way towards their significant others?
Maybe he watched the movie and decided that the scripted justifications of Steve's character would be great to use. Haha.
Oh well. The movie just reminded me of what happened, and just how well I am recovering from all of this. That's all. It also reminded me that I have great friends to get me through this, and a lot of retail therapy ahead of me.
I have nothing but good times ahead.
No comments:
Post a Comment