Saturday, August 8, 2009

Lessons in History



"Ang taong hindi marunong lumingon sa kanyang pinanggalingan, ay hindi makakarating sa kanyang paroroonan." --- Jose Rizal, Philippine National Hero
"Know history, know self; No history, no self."

Loosely translated into English, it means that "a person who doesn't know how to look back to his beginnings will never reach his destiny."

Most Filipino Americans that I've met usually interpret this quote as Rizal's way of reminding our people to get in touch with their Filipino/a roots or heritage. The same interpretation of meaning is also applied to the other quote.

Before folks get all huffy and puffy, let me make it clear that I'm not by any means questioning your cultural identity. How one identifies his or herself is always constantly evolving, based on your own experiences. I am merely saying that I have a different interpretation of these quotes.

I agree that these quotes do pertain to one's culture and heritage. However, I also see it from the perspective that these quotes are in reference to our journey in life. We are shaped by our experiences, both good and bad. We are influenced by the people in our life. Our families lay the foundation, and our choices build upon that foundation. Regardless if it's a good or bad choice, it still becomes part of that foundation of who we are as people and our degree of self-awareness.

These quotes are about reflecting on one's life. Upon engaging in a life review, we look back at the people in our lives, past and present; good and bad. You can't have self-awareness if you're incapable of acknowledging the people that have helped you along the way. The perseverance is yours, but it is selfish to think that one's success is only due to his or her hard work and sacrifices.

You can't get to where you want in life, without someone guiding, loving, and caring for you along the way. I think that in order to be successful in life, one has to be honest with one's self. Honesty is the hallmark of integrity. In order to have character and integrity, one has to admit his or her mistakes, and strive to improve themselves to become a better person. We need to be completely honest with ourselves in order to deal with our mistakes. It is easier to be a coward and not deal with anything one has done wrong, but it will make that person incomplete, and his or her life unfulfilled.





No comments:

Post a Comment