Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Goodbye to Nannyhood

Today was my last day of work as a nanny, for a family I've been with for the past three years. It was bittersweet for me to leave, but it is also the right time for me to do so, especially since my life seems to be in full transition.

As I said goodbye to the girls and their mom, I was really holding back my tears. The waterworks started as soon as I hopped in the car, and up until I met up with Amber today. I was really overcome with emotion, especially since so many changes have been occuring in my life. Although taking care of three girls was challenging, and sometimes frustrating, I really loved my job. For a while there, it was one of two constant situations in my life. Then it became the only constant situation in my life. I took great pride in being able to provide the girls with great care and love. I can only hope that I didn't let their family down.

I think that today, I came to the realization that I REALLY AM starting over. I am both excited and scared to start a new chapter in my life, but I know that there's no limit to what I can accomplish from this point on. I am looking forward to working in the community again, as well as preparing for grad school. I don't have a new job yet, but I have no doubt that God will provide guidance for me to find one.

I will have many fond memories of my experience as a nanny, most especially since I was able to take care of the youngest daughter from the time she was three days old, to the very talkative toddler that she is today. I will miss her baby smell, and rocking her to sleep. I will also miss changing her diaper, because we bonded the most at the changing table. I will also miss the older two, since I've had so much fun watching them grow up these last few years.

I was far from perfect as a nanny, and it was a great learning experience for me. There were definitely times when I wish I had more patience. However, there was no doubt how much I care for these girlies, and that I always had their best interests at heart. I hope that they learned as much from me, as I have from them.

Thank you for bringing out my inner child, and showering me with hugs and kisses, especially when times were tough for me. I didn't have to show you girls how bad I was hurting, you just knew, and you comforted me, each in your own special way. Children really do have an amazing healing touch, and I'm thankful for the time I've spent with these three wonderful children.

So, here I go. I have to get used to my new daily routine---whatever that is. It will be weird going to Starbucks and Target without three little girls hanging on to me, and asking if they can get something from the dollar bins. Don't get me wrong, they will remain important in my life, but it will be weird not being there for them everyday.

Am I ready for what's in store for me? Probably not, but I will ask for my blessings and enjoy each experience along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment