...at least that's what Adidas used to mean to me. I headed out to Davis today to get my number printed on my soccer jersey. Props to the guy at Davis Soccer and Lifestyle for getting the job done in about 15 minutes. Hopefully having the Deuce back on my jersey will bring back my mojo on the field. I'm just superstitious like that. Sorry, but my other jersey number just wasn't working out.
I was also eyeing a new pair of the Copa Mundial, the one and only soccer shoe that I have ever worn. I'm long overdue for a new pair, considering the ones that I'm currently using have been with me since I was 15. Yes, that's right. Adidas used to make extremely durable shoes. Don't trip. They're still comfy and look good, and are far from holey. However, I was informed by the guy at the shop that Adidas will soon be phasing out my beloved Copas, with some butt-ugly hot mess of a shoe. He was trying to sell the newer shoe to me by dissing the Copas, but I told him that the new shoe is really fugly.
The retail gods strike again. WHY??? Why must you mess with something so classic that have been around for 28 years? So much of my identity as a soccer player is tied to the Copa Mundial. I always say that you can tell a lot about a soccer player by the shoes and equipment that they wear. As a soccer player, I can pretty much determine your skill level, based on the boots that you wear on the field. You're pretty much whack if you don't wear Copas. You have to earn your stripes to wear this shoe. As much as I love Nike, I do blame them for introducing some loud and ugly soccer shoes, and forever changing the soccer shoe market. Geez Nike. Way to set the standard for ugly shoes. I'm still mad at you for discontinuing my favorite running shoes.
There's a certain comraderie between those of us who wear the Copas. It used to be that only the soccer players that have played or trained at a higher competitive level wore these shoes. Copas give us distinction. It embodies the concept of "game recognize game" when you see someone else wearing the Copas out on the field. You must have skill and swagger to wear the Copas.
Copas are timeless and classic, unique in that sense. Copas represent my love for the game. I think by now it's apparent and obvious that I am very particular about the equipment that I use. My next purchase will be a new pair of the Copa Mundial. I need to stock up before other people my size catch wind of the armageddon of soccer fails.
No comments:
Post a Comment