I hate the fact that I have the form of hyperthyroidism called Graves' Disease. Not very many folks know I have it, but I thought I would share in case some of you are experiencing symptoms and don't know you have it...and in case you're wondering why my throat seems enlarged and are just too polite to ask why.
Graves' Disease is an autoimmune disease that has a genetic predisposition. So ask your folks if anyone on either side of the family has it. Let's break it down this way to explain it: in a normal body, the immune system defends itself against germs and viruses. An autoimmune disease means the body’s immune system acts against its own healthy cells and tissues. In my case, having Graves'(also known as a toxic diffuse goiter) means that my thyroid gland makes more thyroid hormone than the body needs, making my throat enlarged.
As a rule, people with Graves’ are the type that are intense, fast-paced, and accustomed to doing many things at once, and at full speed ahead. I know, it doesn't seem much different from my own personality traits, but Graves' disease enhances it (in a bad way). It is difficult for me to find a balance. Although I'm used to being busy, Graves' can cause a person to suffer from nervousness, irritability, and erratic behavior. It doesn't take much to stress me out nowadays, and in my effort to control the stress, I sometimes suffer from anxiety or nervousness.
I have to fight fatigue on a daily basis, have trouble sleeping, and have an increased appetite (but thank goodness I'm not gaining any weight). I also usually suffer from increased body temperature. Fun, huh? Most folks usually joke that this is normal for me anyways, but on a serious note, it's really quite a burden not only on me, but my loved ones, friends, and family as well. Although I am currently taking medication for it, I still experience a majority of the symptoms. It makes it difficult to maintain a balanced lifestyle, especially when hyperthyroidism can cause extreme highs and lows, both physically and emotionally.
Most of my uncles and cousins have been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. It's debilitating. The heart palpitations, the trembling hands, and fatigue. I am constantly hungry and thirsty. My skin is breaking out, and it also affects my attention span. It's frustrating for me because I'm such an active person.
In any case, it's also a burden financially. I am thankful that I have my Mom and brother who helped me pay for my medical expenses. I don't qualify for medical insurance because I have a pre-existing condition, because I was diagnosed with Graves' prior to applying for medical insurance, which is why I needed it in the first place.
My only option right now is the County Medically Indigent Services Program (CMISP), which is part of the public health care system in Sacramento County. The application process takes an entire day, which requires you to come back on another day to once you submit all your paperwork, and meet with a case manager who will then decide whether or not you qualify for it. Making an appointment at the county clinic takes forever, I spent an entire 3 hours calling the county clinic just to make an appointment.
It took me another three weeks to see a physician, who referred me to an endocrinologist. I was informed that a case manager would call me to inform me of when my appointment with the endocrinologist would be, but after a month of waiting, I finally called the county clinic to follow up. I was informed that my referral was never filed, and I had to call two other case workers to find out what happened. So they finally found my referral and told me that they had no available appointments until June and that someone would call me. I finally got my appointment confirmation this week, but I still have two months to go before I can see an endocrinologist to get a dosage of radioactive iodine to obliterate my thyroid gland.
Yes, I know. It's a long entry. Thanks for reading. The End.
No comments:
Post a Comment