Monday, August 1, 2011

Happy Birthday Month to Me

Me and Notorious D.O.G. on our way to Huntington Beach

It's August! My birth month! Hooray! I don't know if it's because I'm the bunso or the youngest child, but my family has always allowed me to celebrate not just my birth day, but an the entire month. I think they've done that mostly because they always found my birthday wish lists (filled with childhood illusions of grandeur) fairly amusing. I mean it was both practical and normal to wish for the ability to fly and have heat vision to accompany my Super Man outfit, right? I also asked for my very own ice cream truck so that I would never run out of ice cream. I always had something Sanrio or Hello Kitty on my lists too.

I have to say, my best birthday will always be my 7th birthday party at Jollibee in the Philippines. It was the last birthday I had with my Lolo Seniong, who was one of the most honorable and compassionate men I've ever met. He was a huge influence in my life. And who can forget my Footloose dance battle? My Mom still has that beta-max video of me dancing somewhere. Eek.

Last month was rough for me, starting with a pulled calf muscle that has sidelined me from running and playing soccer. I'm hoping to get back into it and start training for that half marathon in October. I also just finished radioactive iodine treatment for my hyperthyroid/Graves Disease. I'm looking forward to having improved health. It's been difficult and frustrating for me as an athlete to have to fight fatigue just to work out. Not to mention the rheumatoid arthritis too.

So here's to a great birthday month and an awesome birthday too!

No comments:

Post a Comment