Saturday, December 19, 2009

Between Optimus and Theory...and Being Pinay

You know how I love you dearly.
You and I have been sisters through thick and thin during this lifelong friendship of ours.

We lost touch for but a moment, but never lost a beat.
You were there for me during all the times when I got my heart broken, to be the strength and the sister that I needed.

Although it hurts to see you in so much pain, I'm still glad that you're going through this.
Let me explain. It's not because I don't care about you. On the contrary. I will be there for you every step of the way.
It's the beginning of your healing process and your life in review. You've put it off long enough. No more moving. You're staying put. I'll make sure of that.
It's the only way that you're going to find your way back to her. To rediscover that essence of your being.
In Theory, the essence of your being a strong, proud, phenomenal Pinay.

In Theory, being Pinay meant strong words expressed through various pieces of poetry
and countless cups of coffee over conversations in college
about how we didn't understand weak women who let men or relationships disempower or define them.
Now, I never could spit poetry like you, but pucha mare! I always lived vicariously through your words.
Whatever you couldn't say to people upfront, you always did through the open mics. I always admired your ability to move people through your spoken words and raw courage to just stand up there and flow. I remember thinking grabe talaga! Astig ng mare ko!

In Theory, we were never the kind to ever let our feelings show because we thought that being strong Pinays meant never showing that we were losing any sense of self-control.

In Theory, somewhere along our journey as sisters, you and I became a shadow of our Pinay-selves, weakened for a moment, but not broken by our experiences.

And when I was picking up the pieces, you were one of the few who stayed with me, to make sure to carefully sort through them,
and in Theory, choose only the important elements of being Pinay. Of being me.

You say that you still trust so easily. There's nothing wrong with that. Don't you see? The fact that you are able to trust means that you have no fear, and that you're willing to take chances. Trust is necessary to lead you down that path of self-awakening and rediscovery. Trust is necessary to let love find you when the time is right. But you have to learn how to trust yourself first.

You are me and I am you in so many ways. I once asked you what you thought were my most important characteristics as your sister and your friend. I expressed that I was having a hard time coming up with a third characteristic that defined both a weakness and a strength that I possessed. I came up with "love" and "being a woman." You said without hesitation, "loyalty."

In Theory, I see all these same characterstics in you. This you and me being Pinay.

I love ya chica.

No comments:

Post a Comment