Saturday, April 9, 2011

In Good Company

I headed out to the city today, to hang out with two of my homies, Glen and Dennis. It had been a while since we hung out together, and the witty banter and sarcasm was surely missed.

Being around these guys reminded me of why I love my community in SoMa so much. I've made a lot of good friends there, like-minded down-for the community and their homies kind of folks.  I take comfort in the fact that I can always count on these guys to keep it real with me. These guys are characters, and most definitely have character. It was nostalgic walking back to Bessie from Bayanihan. I forgot how much I miss walking around SoMa. I even got to pet a cool doggy along the way.

We started off with some Chico's and a short kick-it at Arkipelago Books with Tita Marie. I was hoping to run into Col. Ceguerra today, a beterano I met last weekend, but he didn't visit Tita Marie or the bookstore today.  I'll save the sketch book and charcoal sticks I got him for next time.

Glen had to leave early because he had plans with his Lola and Mom, so he dropped Dennis and I off at the Anarchist Book Fair at Golden Gate Park. It was a new experience for me. Now, I'm someone who doesn't get intimidated very easily, but the vibe in the place was a mixture of extreme individualism within a complete collectivism approach. Dennis and I hopped on the 71 bus afterwards, where he and I took different stops. I rode the Muni back to SoMa, and headed back to my car on 6th Street.

I had a great day in the city with good friends, and was almost sad to leave today. I wish Paul would've been there to enjoy the day with us, but it was also nice just to be with good friends for a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment